Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Walmart

03/20/18 CNBC has an article on a pilot project: Fedex store within a store at Walmart. I never put a lot of stock in pilot projects, but this is interesting. AMZN makes noises from time to time about their own delivery systems, that could make this tie up good for both Fedex and WMT. The big thing for me is that the photo printing part of all of the Walmart stores I have visited "feels" like an after thought. Imagine a section devoted to packing, copying, shipping. Worth watching, could be big. If the pilot makes it to Kauai, I will be sure to take note.

03/05/18:
"I don’t see how anyone can buy WMT stock at 26 times earnings when those earnings not only aren’t growing, but have been shrinking. If Walmart stock was paying a 5% dividend, that might make for a different story, yet it only pays a 2% yield."
https://investorplace.com/2018/01/its-too-late-for-walmart-turnaround/

I don't have my full brain on, I meant to take a nap, but was productive so I stayed at the keyboard. So maybe I am wrong, but doesn't that just mean their stock, like everyone else's is overpriced?

My moma would never allow me to use the everyone else argument. So, the rich question is for the ten thousandth time, whither goeth Walmart.

Some thoughts:

Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. Period. Forget all the Amazon hype, they aren't even close.

90% of Americans live within 10 miles of a Walmart.

Walmart is trying harder at online retail. Yawn. I used to travel for a living, no matter where I was, I could find a Walmart store . . . AND they are not always tied to big box shopping centers . . . AND their parking lots are not empty. . . even at night. If I want it in a cardboard box, I will use Amazon, if I am in Lihue and I want to pick something up, Walmart works for me. 

The dividend. Is 2 something measly or smart? Take either side of the argument you want, but it is sustainable.

Warren Buffet is selling it. OK maybe I can add to my position on a price drop.  


No comments:

Post a Comment